Having A Vibrant and Powerful Prayer Life.


As Christian we need to be having a vibrant and powerful prayer life.

If you were to look up the word prayer in a lexicon you would find that there are seven Hebrew words translated prayer you would also find five Greek words translated prayer. If you look up pray you will find thirteen words translated from Hebrew to pray and nine Greek words translated pray.  The word pray appears three hundred and thirteen times between the new and the Old Testament. The word prayer occurs one hundred and fourteen times in one hundred and seven verses. The word praying occurs twenty times in twenty verses. Prayed occurs sixty five times in sixty five verses.  So as you can see this is a huge subject and to study it out would take a large chunk of time.

There are also related subjects such as the word praise, intersession, and speaking in tongues all of which are large subjects on their own.

The point I am making here is that if you need a subject to study why not start with prayer. It is one of the most basic subjects in The Word and unfortunately sometimes a misunderstood subject. There are things that can and there are things which cannot be accomplished by prayer. You cannot afford to waste time on things you cannot do through prayer.

For those of you who are already objecting and saying “You can do anything through prayer.”  I would remind you that the first thing you need to do is find out what is available. I will get more into this subject as we get into the word.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.

God wants us praying. He tells us not to stop praying. This does take some discipline. How does one do that you ask? When I figure it out I’ll let you know because I forget to do this as well as anyone else does at times. On the other hand I have seen some things accomplished by prayer. Healing's, people over coming addictions by never having what they maybe addicted to again, People released from that which holds them back or keeps them from having the freedom to choose that which God says to do.

There have been studies done on patients that believe in the power of prayer and they do heal quicker and more often than those who do not.

Look at Psalms 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Delighting ourselves in the lord simply means to do what God says to do which includes praying.

This verse can be misunderstood by the youngest Christians to mean that whatever you want will be granted. 

Again you have to keep in mind what’s available. If someone who is unsaved is coming toward you can you get that person saved by prayer only?  No you cannot.

Now he may find a page of a bible that contains Romans chapter 10 or some other section that talks about the resurrection of Christ and they could get saved but your prayer alone will not do it.

I have seen people who are just getting to know God and they read this verse and they get the wrong meaning from it. They then start to pray for things that cross someone else’s freedom of will and they don’t get the results they seek and they get discouraged. So it still goes back to studying and knowing what is available.

Let’s look at another section of scripture about the same subject.

Proverbs 3
 1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
 2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.
 3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
 4 So shalt thou find favour and good understanding in the sight of God and man.
 5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

So God will direct our paths as long as we trust in him by keeping his word which again includes praying according to 1 Thessalonians. 5.

I now have a question, Have you ever had a desire to do something for God?

Way back in 1973 I had just started to attend fellowships and I found out about a program where you would make yourself available, to the group whose fellowships I attended, for one year. That you would go anyplace they sent you mostly within the USA and you would start a fellowship that would be able to stand on their own at the end of your commitment. I thought that sounded cool or for texters kewl. At that time I thought about it and the longer I thought about it and continued to learn about God the more it brewed in my heart.

Then in the spring of 1974 I applied to go. I went for training to Sidney Ohio and went and had one of the most memorable years of my life.

Why did I relate that incident?  Because it is an example of God giving you the desire of your heart it is also God directing your path.

As I thought about doing what I would eventually do God worked in my heart both to will and to do of his good pleasure but at the same time I wanted to do something for God and God showed me this was the correct path to take and as I looked for a way to do something for God. God placed the desire because I was willing to receive it. That is what Psalms 37 and Proverbs 3 are talking about. God never forced me to do anything I did it by my freedom of will. I choose to serve God he just showed me the best way I could work for him.

You will come to times in your life where there will be decisions that you need to make.
What school to go to, what should I major in, which job should I take, as well as many others of the thousands of decisions we make during the course of our lives. It never hurts to ask  God what is the best thing for me to do?

Some people say that they don’t know what to pray for. The bible has a few suggestions in that area.

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Here we are not only told what to pray for but why it is important to pray for it. We are to pray for all men, kings, those in authority so we can lead quiet and peaceable lives and he adds that he wants all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. We still can’t pray alone we will have to open our mouths. That phrase is another thing that is worthy of study they opened their mouths.

1 Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 

Okay my purpose in this teaching is not to teach about speaking in tongues I am going to stay focused on prayer but it is a form of prayer that we are suppose to use according to this chapter so I feel it needs to be pointed out.

If you want to know more about the subject there is a books I would recommend

The Gift of Holy Spirit: The Power to be Like Christ
If you are interested in this book send you can find it in the bookstore on this website 
http://thelivingtruthfellowship.org/jtltf/books-booklets/the-gift-of-holy-spirit

There are also a number of teachings about the gift of holy spirit at https://tltf.org under Bible Teachings.

So we are to pray in tongues and with our understanding as well. When we pray in a tongue our mind is unfruitful but we speak directly to God. We can also use this to make intercession for the saints.

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
 27And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.


Ephesians 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
 19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
 20For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak

These verses end the section about the armor of God. Prayer is a part of the armor of God.
You cannot stand against the devil without that armor. You need to pray. It is not a suggestion from me it is a command of God.

Praying for things you want or need is fine. Prayer is not some magic bullet that can make a Sting Ray suddenly appear in your driveway. It is not some sort of magical formula where you magically get something you have always wanted. The reason I am stressing this is I belonged to a group that taught that prayer was almost magic like. First and foremost something has to be available for you to pray for it that is why you cannot overstep someone eleses freedom of will for instance you cannot make someone fall in love with you by praying for it.

 There was a kid who wanted a new bike and he went to his dad and asked. His dad said they couldn't afford to get him a new bike.

The kid got very upset because he really wanted that bike. His mother knew it was bothering him so she sat down and talked to the him and taught him about praying. He started praying and a few months later he was riding a new bike he had gotten from his grandparents who gave him the bike. Did his parents suggest it to them as a great present to get the teen I don’t know but even if they did it still shows the power of prayer. The teen prayed for the bike and it came to him. God can inspire those we know to help us get to us the answer to our prayers. He never forces them he never crosses their freedom of will they have to want to give.

Here is a verse many of us have a problem with.

Mathew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

You have to be kidding me right? We are supposed to pray for those who treat us badly? Word of God says it that settles it.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

It’s easy to want to bless those who love us it not so easy to want to bless those who hate us.
There are many prayers in The Word. Let’s take a look at a couple of them.

In Mathew 6:6 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

We cannot pray God into hearing us or submission.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
 9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
 11Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

This is probably the best known of all prayers in all of Christendom. It has been over used and has become meaningless words in large part something people say without thinking about what they are saying.

The trouble is religion has taken it and made it words. Now there are things that no longer apply to those of us in the grace administration.

God has said our daily meat has already been supplied.

Philippians 4:19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

Food is a part of our need we will die without it.
Our forgiveness is not conditional.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

If we need to forgive to receive forgiveness then it is conditional and not by grace.
It has been revealed that God doesn't tempt us.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Jesus Christ lived in a different administration than we do therefore the rules are different.
To see some more about this administration look at:
1 Corinthians 9:17, Ephesians 1:10, Ephesians 3:2, and Colossians 1:25
There is a great class called The End Times you can purchase at tltf.org
I am also not planning on teaching the Administration here either at least not today.

I have heard people teach that you should only pray for something once. Then you are supposed to wait and not pray again because that means they do not believe to have their pray answered. This is just plain wrong and without any basis in scripture in fact; I’ll show you the word indicates we should handle it the other way.

Daniel 10:1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a thing was revealed unto Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar; and the thing was true, but the time appointed was long: and he understood the thing, and had understanding of the vision.
 2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.

Okay a thing was revealed to Daniel. Since the word revealed is used it means the information came from a source outside of Daniel. Due to the overall context I believe that Daniel got a Word of Knowledge from God. Now he needs to get a Word of Wisdom so he knows what to do with the knowledge verse 1 is like a headline and verse 2 goes back and gives the details.

Here is the translation from the NIV.

Verse 1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia, a revelation was given to Daniel (who was called Belteshazzar). Its message was true and it concerned a great war.  The understanding of the message came to him in a vision.
Verse 2 At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks.

So Daniel Had a vision then he mourned for three weeks. The word anxious may be somewhat more accurate than Mourn according to Online Etymology Dictionary "to mourn," also "be anxious, be careful" to be concerned and that fits with the context.

3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

4 And in the four and twentieth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, which is Hiddekel;

So Daniel is trying to focus on this revelation he got and what to do about it. I’m sure he was asking for the wisdom. That means he prayed.

5 Then I lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a certain man clothed in linen, whose loins were girded with fine gold of Uphaz:

6 His body also was like the beryl, and his face as the appearance of lightning, and his eyes as lamps of fire, and his arms and his feet like in colour to polished brass, and the voice of his words like the voice of a multitude.

7 And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves.

8 Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength.

9Yet heard I the voice of his words: and when I heard the voice of his words, then was I in a deep sleep on my face, and my face toward the ground.

10 And, behold, an hand touched me, which set me upon my knees and upon the palms of my hands.

The word beryl means in common vernacular ripped. He looked like a weight lifter with bulging muscles.

As he spoke it sounded like a multitude speaking. No one else saw the angel they just felt something and fled.

12 Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.

God answered Daniel’s prayer a thing to remember if you need to get answers is to pray for guidance and how to implement it. You need to be able to pray.

I have just scratched the surface on prayer and I hope you will study a bit more it will be well worth your while.

I’d like to close here with a prayer from The Word. It is what is in my heart for you.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.
 12 Greet one another with an holy kiss.
 13 All the saints salute you.

 14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hebrews 10

Ezra 9 and 10

The others crucified with Christ