Heart 2 teac


These teaching on the word Heart happened over four weeks

Let’s continue on with our study of the word heart.

Daniel 6:14 Then the king, when he heard [these] words, was sore displeased with himself, and set [his] heart on Daniel to deliver him: and he laboured till the going down of the sun to deliver him.

The word heart here comes from the Aramaic word bal meaning mind. This is the only usage of this word.

You can see here it is talking about that which makes the king who he is. He is feeling badly because he was tricked into having to throw Daniel into the lion’s den. Daniel’s trust in God had caused him to rise to the king’s right hand man.

That is the only use of the word bal which is an Aramaic word. There is also an Aramaic word leb which there is one use of.

Daniel 7:28 Hitherto [is] the end of the matter.  As for me Daniel, my cogitations much troubled me, and my countenance changed in me: but I kept the matter in my heart

This is pronounced the same way the Hebrew word is and it means heart or mind.

This is the same verse from the NIV which is easier to understand,

Daniel 7:28 “This is the end of the matter. I, Daniel, was deeply troubled by my thoughts, and my face turned pale, but I kept the matter to myself."

So Daniel was troubled by the revelation he had received. His thoughts (his inner being or the seat of his personal life) were troubled.

Or next word is lĕbab which is an Aramaic word with the corresponding Hebrew word as well. There are seven usages of this word all translated heart. This word is used only in Daniel and no place else in the word.

Daniel 2:30 But as for me, this secret is not revealed to me for [any] wisdom that I have more than any living, but for [their] sakes that shall make known the interpretation to the king, and that thou mightest know the thoughts of thy heart .

Here is how the ESV handle’s the verse:

Daniel 2:30 But as for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because of any wisdom that I have more than all the living, but in order that the interpretation may be made known to the king, and that you may know the thoughts of your mind.

The mind or heart is where the truth had been revealed to him and to no other just Daniel knew what was going on. Daniel was then to share it with the king.

Daniel 4:16 Let his heart be changed from man's, and let a beast's heart be given unto him; and let seven times pass over him.

This is a figure of speech meotonymy,

Where one is used as a substitute for another. Here it is very apparent that an animal’s heart is being used for the heart of the king. In the context Daniel is explaining the meaning of the kings dream and its fulfillment.

Daniel 5:19 And for the majesty that he gave him, all people, nations, and languages, trembled and feared before him: whom he would he slew; and whom he would he kept alive; and whom he would he set up; and whom he would he put down.

20 But when his heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him:

21 And he was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointeth over it whomsoever he will.

22 And thou his son, O Belshazzar, hast not humbled thine heart, though thou knewest all this;

Here we have 3 verses where it is talking how the king would not be humble before God and it cost him his kingdom. Again it is talking about the seat of the personal life.

Daniel 7:4 The first [was] like a lion, and had eagle's wings: I beheld till the wings thereof were plucked, and it was lifted up from the earth, and made stand upon the feet as a man, and a man's heart was given to it.

Here again it is talking about a mind of a man. His inner being was that of a man.

Let’s now look at the Hebrew word lebab. Let us look at the biblical usage:

1) inner man, mind, will, heart, soul, understanding
a) inner part, midst
1) midst (of things)
2) heart (of man)
3) soul, heart (of man)
4) mind, knowledge, thinking, reflection, memory
5) inclination, resolution, determination (of will)
6) conscience
7) heart (of moral character)
8) as seat of appetites
9) as seat of emotions and passionsr
10) as seat of couragea


AV — heart 231, consider + 07760 5, mind 4, understanding 3, misc 9

 Genesis 20:5 Said he not unto me, She is my sister? and she, even she herself said, He is my brother: in the integrity of my heart and innocency of my hands have I done this.
 6 And God said unto him in a dream, Yea, I know that thou didst this in the integrity of thy heart; for I also withheld thee from sinning against me: therefore suffered I thee not to touch her.

 Both verses use the word heart meaning the seat of the personal life. Now this is God telling
 Abimelech king said Sarah was Abraham’s wife and the king’s response he was going by what
Abraham said so he had done nothing wrong. He had not touched Sarah.

Genesis 31:26 And Laban said to Jacob, What hast thou done, that thou hast stolen away unawares to me, and carried away my daughters, as captives [taken] with the sword?

The word unawares is the word we are concerned with. Now the interesting thing is the word does not appear in all the manuscripts that were used to translate the bible. It is the ones used to do Darby  and King James but the newer versions don’t have the word there.

Leviticus 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I [am] the LORD

Israel was instructed to not hate their neighbor or their brother. There are many Christians that need to learn that lesson. We are supposed to love each other not hate.

Deuteronomy 30:1 And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call [them] to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee,

Your mind is what makes you, you. It is your inclination.

Deuteronomy30:6 And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

Here it talks of the circumcision of the heart. What we would call the renewed mind. As parents they were to teach their children to have a circumcised heart as well and to love God with that heart. That you that is in there.

1 Chronicles 22:7 And David said to Solomon, My son, as for me, it was in my mind to build an house unto the name of the LORD my God

Here again we have the word mind. It was on David’s heart to build the temple but it was left to Solomon to build the temple.

Proverbs 4:20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.

21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them midst of thine heart.

We are to listen to God incline our heart to his word.

Proverbs 6:24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.

25 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids.

We are not to lust after beauty in our hearts.

Last one:

Jeremiah 4:4 Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench [it], because of the evil of your doings.

Paul mentions the true Jews are those who have a circumcised heart.


We need to guard our hearts because out of it comes the issues of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ezra 9 and 10

Hebrews 10