Philippians 2

Philippians 2:1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

So right off I see a problem because of the word therefore. 

Therefore is a conjunction tying what was said in the last few verses of chapter 1 into the context of chapter 2. The end of chapter 1 was talking about how we should behave and what we can expect to see happening because we have taken a stand for Christ. This first verse also divides right in the middle of a thought. Mind you I am not saying God did it wrong just whoever divided this book into chapters and verses. If you ever needed proof that there is no divine authority behind chapters and verses all you need to do is look here in Philippians to see how poorly it was done.


Philippians 2:1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.



Paul or more properly God wants us and entreats us to be of one mind. He also wants us to operate in agape type of love, also wanting us to be working towards the one goal. We are suppose to be working with the other Christians not telling them how wrong they are all the time.

When you and another christian are both on the same page it is amazing what you can get accomplished. There have been other Christians I have worked with that had it not been for the word, because we were so different we never would have been friends or maybe even friendly, when I first got into wanting to learn the word I went to these home based fellowships. The person who was responsible for running the fellowship I went to was in the same class I was in high school. We really did not care for each other back in high school which was only three short years before I got involved in this fellowship. I saw such a dramatic change in him. I saw something I wanted in my life. He had what I was searching for. That summer we became much more friendly. You see the word and our desire to learn it and to operate it in our lives drew us together. Whenever I think of him there is a verse in Colossians that comes to life for me.

That their hearts might be comforted, being knit together in love, and unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;

Our hearts got knit together in love. It was the word we had in common and the word that caused to people who really didn't care for each other to become brothers. This has happened to me many times since then. I met someone who I would never have gotten to know because of the differences in our personalities but the word drew us together and we became brothers or brother and sister.

Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

Want to talk about a lifetime project? I don't know about you but I still at times have my problems in this area. Doing things because you feel it is expected of you and you feel almost a resentment about having to do it like you were nagged into it. How much better it is to motivate someone to do something because it is the right thing to do rather than nag them into submission.

If you are doing something because you want everyone to how cool you are you are you might as well go join the brotherhood of the Pharisees local. We should never do things to have people say ain't he something. Don't become Simon the sorcerer (Acts 9:9)

Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

We need to watch out for each other. No one else on this earth will watch another Christians back as well as a brother in Christ. You may have family or friends but the only one who can have your back in the spiritual realm can really watch your back.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

What an example to follow, Jesus Christ. 

Jesus also showed us how to spot the counterfeit. Always look at who is given the glory in everything. If anyone or anything is getting the glory other than God then it is a counterfeit. That is the very definition of vain glory. If you see anyone taking the glory it is a pretty safe bet that they are not working for God. 

Jesus took on him the form of a servant. I need to be reminded at times that we are to be servants to our brothers and sisters. We need to be ready at all times to serve each other. 

And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Jesus humbled himself and God exalted him. Sounds sort of like what Peter wrote.

1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Now Jesus has a name that is above every other name. There is a day coming when all men shall confess Jesus as the only true savior. How do we want to spend eternity we know what the word has to say and all we need do is to do what the word says to do. and we will also be exalted.

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

If you want to see how you really are, what is it you do when no one is watching. Paul said that they obeyed in his presence but he was blessed because they also now obeyed in his absence. We live 24 hours a day and that is how long we should walk the word everyday.

It is God who is at work within you to do of his goodwill and pleasure. It is expressed a little differently in Psalms.

Psalm 37:Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Either way you look at it it is God working in you. When we listen to him and set our mind on him he will inspire great works from us. He will teach us to go beyond the limits we think we have. You just have to start trusting the father and his son our brother Jesus Christ and you will get lead to heights we never thought we could get to and it is all because of our dad.

14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

This is a very high and lofty and whats more worthy goal. When God says Go we go. We try not to complain you will at times but if you are going to complain then complain to God and no one else.

17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all.

Paul would gladly give himself up as a sacrifice if it was for the believers sake.

18 For the same cause also do ye joy, and rejoice with me.
19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state.

Paul was going to send Timbo to Philippi. 

20 For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state.

This says a great deal about Tim that Paul would say this about him. Lamsa translates this as "who is as interested in you as I am." Bullinger  says no man of equal mind who is as interested in you as I am. It is the Greek word isopsychos. This is the only place in the bible that this word appears it means equal in soul. Back in verse 2 it is the word phroneō which means to think, feel or be minded.

21 For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's.
22 But ye know the proof of him, that, as a son with the father, he hath served with me in the gospel.

I want to see these 2 verses from the NIV.

21 For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel.

Paul wanted the people in Philippi to watch out for the interests of Christ but they were to busy looking at their own interests. We used to call this the I Land and say get off the I Land. If you are having difficulty with problems try helping someone else out . This of course goes against all world wisdom which we are told to watch out for and now you can start to see why world wisdom cannot be our standard.

Now Tim on the other hand has proven himself and thus Paul wants to send them Timbo. Tim had served with Paul and shown Paul that he would serve.

23 Him therefore I hope to send presently, so soon as I shall see how it will go with me.
24 But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly.

Paul I believe really wanted to go himself as always but it was more needful for him to be other places.

25 Yet I supposed it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus, my brother, and companion in labour, and fellowsoldier, but your messenger, and he that minister themed to my wants.

26 For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick.

27 For indeed he was sick nigh unto death: but God had mercy on him; and not on him only, but on me also, lest I should have sorrow upon sorrow.

So Paul sent them Epaphroditus who seems to have been known in the city. It was also a comfort to them to see him alive since he had almost died.

28 I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice, and that I may be the less sorrowful.
29 Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness; and hold such in reputation:
30 Because for the work of Christ he was nigh unto death, not regarding his life, to supply your lack of service toward me.

That wraps up Chapter 2. The next 2 weeks should be really great these are two of my favorite chapters in the word lots of things that will help you with your stand.

Comments

  1. Sorry we missed today! We had a father and son at our place who bought our DJ system-it took a while to show them how it all worked. Glad I can come here and at least catch up on the teaching!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey can you add 1 picture to this so I can pin it? TY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hebrews 10

Ezra 9 and 10