Galatians 2




The first word of chapter 2 is then which is a conjunction. I become more convinced that whoever divided the books of the bible into chapters intentionally did it wrong so people would understand that what they did was not done by Godly design. These were educated people and would have understood the basics of grammar and how to start a chapter or a paragraph at least as well as I do and I can see it was not done correctly. So to get the context we need to go back to chapter 1 verse 13 for the context.
Galatians 1:13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
One interesting thing is in verse thirteen and fourteen you have the words Jewish Religion they come from the Greek word ioudaïsmos and these two verses are the only place this word is used in the bible. They come from another Greek word ioudaïzō  Which means to accept Jewish customs or rites and is used in 2:14 which we will get to.
14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
This is also a figure of speech called Ep'anadiplo'sis; or, Encircling The repetition of the same word or words at the beginning and end of a sentence. The word is used twice but in a single context which means it is established or it is singularly significant. Both seem to fit so you decide which meaning to apply.
Paul was zealous for the tradition of the Jews and was wasting the church. Paul wasn’t a gangsta he just talked like one.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,
16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:
Once Paul got with the program he didn’t confer with anyone he went off so he could confer with his heavenly father. It is believed by some he went to Mt. Sinai where Moses had gotten the commandments from God.
17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.
18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.
That must have been some meeting. Paul and Peter talking the word.
19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.
This is not the James of the gospels he was the brother of the apostle John (Mat 4:21,Mat 10:2 ) and part of Jesus inner circle. This James the Lord's Brother (Mat 13:55, Mar 6:3)James the Apostle was dead at this point (Acts 12:2)
20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.
21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;
22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ:
Unlike nowadays there was no mass media so they had no idea what he looked like. If there were no TV or movies would you know what Brad Pitt looks like?
23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.
24 And they glorified God in me.
Onto Chapter 2
1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
held in high regard.” The Greek verb is dokeō (#1380 δοκέω), and when it is intransitive, as here, it means, to seem or appear to be; to be recognized as something or to have a reputation for something.  Thus this verse is saying that there were people in the church at Jerusalem who “seemed to be,” or “appeared to be,” or “were recognized as” or “were reputed to be,” pillars (cp.  Gal. 2:9), or “were held in high regard.”  God is not saying these people were pillars, but that they “seemed to be,” or were “regarded to be,” pillars.
This word means that these men were regarded by men as leaders not necessarily by God. It also hints at resentment
This word is used 8 times in 4 verses all talking about leadership in Jerusalem.
James is not the apostle James but James Jesus brother. He is mentioned as thinking his brother was crazy in the Gospels and is not mentioned in Acts till Acts 12. Because of everyone leaving to avoid getting captured and killed James ended up running things in Jerusalem because everyone else left.
3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
It was suggested that Titus be circumcised. You Can see how they found out in the next verse. Notice the goal was to put them into bondage. Living by the law of Moses or more truthfully God’s Laws put people into bondage (Gal 4:9). God never meant for that to be but men twisted the law and caused the bondage.
4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
The word liberty is the same word for liberty in Gal. 5:1 but bondage isn’t that same word as is in 5:1. The word here means to enslave where the word in Gal 5 is duleia this means the condition of slavery.
5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
Paul didn’t bend to these religious Jews at all. This is the figure of speech Neg-a'-ti-o; or, Negation (Galatians 2:5). A denial of that which has not been affirmed. Which means the contradiction or denial of something we might say negate.
6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepted no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:
They added nothing to Paul’s message
This is how the REV reads
6 But from those who were held in high regard as important (whatever they were at one time, it does not matter to me, God does not show personal favoritism)—well, those held in high regard added nothing to my message,
Remember in high regard means by man not God necessarily that holds through this entire chapter.
7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
The same holds true for the word pillars as for high regard.
10 Only they would that we should remember the poor; the same which I also was forward to do.
11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.
So the leaders suggested they remember the poor then comes but meaning in contrast to what they had decided Peter came to Antioch and something happened and Peter did something we don’t know what yet and caused a problem.
12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.
Came from James means religious Jews zealous for the law.me Peter got fearful and withdrew.
13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.
I think the NIV is much clearer about what is being said.
11 When Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13 The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
Barnabas was even lead astray. If you want to be a leader this is something you have to be careful not to let happen you don’t want to lead the believers astray. You want to lead them to the word of God and what it says.
14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
Almost sounds like Christ talking to the  Pharisees. Peter was being sort of hypocritical in telling these people they should live by the law and he couldn’t do that himself and was in fact living the opposite.
15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
There you have it no flesh shall be justified by the works of the law.

(NIV)Gal. 2:16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.
No one will be justified by the law only by faith and the only way to get faith is to believe God raised Jesus from the dead.
17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
I like the ESV translation of this verse:
But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not!
This is talking about Jews according to the context but it applies to all of us.
18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Anyone who try’s to put you under some law ask them to explain verse 19. How can we be dead unto God under the law yet we live unto God?

Verse 19 the second the law has no article making not the Mosaic law but any law or rule. We have no rules to have salvation once we are born again.
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Wow look at 21 if righteousness comes by the law then Christ died in vain!
We will pick this up again when we go to chapter 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hebrews 10

Ezra 9 and 10