Prayer

 

1 Cor. 14: 13Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.  14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.  15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.  16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?  17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.  18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:  19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

 

I start from here because this is our instruction for today.

 

Let’s look back and watch things go haywire. You have to go back into the gospels to see it. We will start in Matthew.

 

5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard. 8 Do not  like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

 9 So then, this is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name.

10Your kingdom come,

Your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11Give us this day our daily bread.

12And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from the evil one.b

14For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.

 

This no longer applies I know this because Romans 10:9,10 says:

 9that if you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with your heart you believe and are justified, and with your mouth you confess and are saved.

 

There is nothing in Romans about having to forgive others to receive your forgiveness. You confess Jesus as your lord and believe God raised him from the dead and you get salvation.

 

Let’s look at another record about the same subject.

 

Luke 11: 1One day in a place where Jesus had just finished praying, one of His disciples requested, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

2So Jesus told them, “When you pray, say:

‘Father, hallowed be Your name.

Your kingdom come.

3Give us each day our daily bread.

4And forgive us our sins,

for we also forgive everyone who sins against us.

And lead us not into temptation.

 

Now this reads different than Matthew but neither Matthew or Luke has “For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever.”

 

The purpose for Jesus teaching them was so people wouldn’t end up doing vain jangling. That means using the same prayer over and over and the meaning get lost and people would not think about the words being spoken.

 

Also in verse 3 you are asking what God has already said he would do supply your need.

 

There is no mention of

 

Speaking in Tongues because of course it was not yet available it was also not known about. You have to keep your administration straight.

 

Before you say I’m making Jesus less important according to Galatians 1: 11For I certify to you, brothers, that the gospel I preached was not devised by man.b 12I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

So it is also from Jesus Christ just addressed to this administration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hebrews 10

Ezra 9 and 10

The others crucified with Christ